1.谓语动词用黑体的斜体字表示，例如：Everyone should know …。
2.从句的引导词用方框表示，例如：where the nearest fire alarm box is located。
3.从句用横线表示，例如：where the nearest fire alarm box is located，表示where引导的从句。
4.插入语成分用括号表示，例如：Keeping your head, (instead of crowding and pushing to get to an exit), may make the difference between…
1. Evening had now come, the last of Adolf Hitler’s life.
2. We live in a time when, more than ever before in history, people are moving about.
3. Several neighbors hope to find safety in the only bomb shelter on their street when an announcement comes over the radio that enemy missiles are approaching.
4. The willingness to recognize the value of these newer “unscientific” ways of doing science may be another instance of the human ability to adapt and survive, of which we spoke earlier.
5. It is an activity you turn to for pleasure, not something that you have to do, like helping with the dishes.
6. The tour races of France and Italy, held each year, cover more than 2,000 miles.
7. While I was waiting to enter university, I saw advertised in a local newspaper a teaching post at a school in a suburb of London about ten miles from where I lived.
8. The second aspect is the application by all members of society from the government official to the ordinary citizen, of the special methods of thought and action that scientists use in their work.
9. I launched into a variation of the speech I had made for years, about how excessive tax rates can take away the incentive to produce, and how cutting taxes can generate growth.
10. Even his critics say the Ames test – his simple, inexpensive laboratory procedure that helps determine whether a substance might cause cancer – is a remarkable achievement.
11. The cessation(停止) of the employment of extraordinary means to prolong the life of the body when there is irrefutable evidence that biological death is imminent(即将来临的) is the decision of the patient and/or her immediate family.
12. Although her characters were portrayed(描绘) in many settings and situations, they all reflected, by the often tragic outcome of their lives, her profound conviction that no human could be happy if that happiness was rooted in the wretchedness(悲伤，痛苦) of another.
13. I plan to see her soon in England, though not, she reminded me, again at 10 Downing Street.